Tuesday, March 12, 2013

got milk?

Today was our much anticipated follow-up appointment with Dr. Wood, the allergist at Johns Hopkins.  When we first saw him in the end of September we were told unless he had any issues with other foods we didn't need to come back for 6 months (right before he was one).  Colter has done wonderful with all foods we have introduced.  That being said I have been VERY careful with reading ingredients and only buying foods without milk or corn products and making a lot at home.  It has been a challenge but worth it! 

So today Jarrod, Colter, and I headed out bright and early to Hopkins.  The did another skin test with Colter this time, even though his last skin tests were negative (his only reactions to the allergens were GI issues). The doctor explained that some kids test negative on the skin test at 6 months and develop skin reactions at around a year.  They tested him for dairy, soy, and peanuts.  They didn't need to do wheat or eggs this time because we have introduced those with no issues.  He definitely didn't like being poked this time but did pretty well.  After waiting about 10 minutes they came back in and said it looked perfect...NO REACTIONS!!
The top is the histamine and by the other lines is where they put the allergens
So Dr. Wood sat with us for a while to discuss the next steps.  Since he was negative on the skin we are able to move forward with introducing the allergens.  First up milk!!  We will start with 1 tablespoon of milk in his morning sippy cup (yup we are finishing with bottles too) with his Alimentum.  We can increased by doubling the amount of milk we add daily.  I have made a calendar and we will be up to all milk by two weeks.  I wanted a calendar so we can keep track as well as if there is an issue we know the exact amount that caused the issue.  Dr. Wood said if we see mucous or blood in diaper then we call him and we will come back to trying milk again in the future.  If he does well once he has taken 6 oz in a day I can also start giving him cheese, yogurt, etc!  After we are fully on milk then we can start slowly giving him corn products.  Starting with products that just have a little corn and building up to full corn.  The expectation/hope is that by a month Colter will be eating a non-restricted diet!! And the big question I had as a mommy was..."can Colter have a regular birthday cake?".  The answer... "as long as he does well with the milk YES!"
I made trip to the store for milk today!
If Colter does well we are done with allergy at this time and past this difficult stage! Its crazy to think that we have been on 9 formulas in all.  Right now the Alimentum Ready to Feed costs about $250+ a month!!  It is worth it for a healthy little man but will not be an expense we miss!  I left the appointment very encouraged and hopeful.  Please if you remember pray that Colter will not have any GI issues with the milk and that the transition will be smooth!!  I will leave you with a cute picture of my little guy sleeping on the ride home!
Dr's appointments are exhausting

No comments:

Post a Comment