Right before Jarrod and I were married I had an annual exam and my dr wanted me to get an ultrasound to look at some thing that concerned them. When we returned from our honeymoon I had the ultrasound and was diagnosed with something called a "uterine septum". I was told this often lead to recurrent miscarriages and when we did get pregnant I would need to be followed closely. The months passed and I did not get pregnant but I did switch jobs and due to going on Jarrods insurance had to switch doctors as well. In December 2010 we went to the new Reproductive Endocrinologist to build a relationship with this doctor so we would have someone to see when we got pregnant. The new Dr wanted to do further testing on me and do a full fertility test on both of us. Turns out I did not have the septum but both Jarrod and I have fertility issues. Due to our issues we were told we had less than a 1% chance to get pregnant and our only option was IVF. This was like a punch in the gut. There was nothing I wanted to be more than a mommy...I was devasted...but I had to believe God had a greater plan! (And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:28)
But we prayed and saved money and started shots in April. Sadly I did not develop any follicles (they are what have eggs in them and the whole point of IVF is to develop ALOT of them). So the IVF was cancelled. This happened just days before our first anniversary. After a second opinion and more prayer in July 2011 we started our second cycle with new medications. I responded better for people in my situation but I would never be someone with a ton of eggs. We had an ultrasound to check the follicles and there were five. The doctor felt this was the best we would do and scheduled our egg retrieval for two days later. She told us worse case was there were NO eggs in the follicles (not every follicle has an egg in it). The next day at church a pastor and his wife prayed for us. We filled him in on the worst case and he asked what the best case was. I said " I guess it would be there are 5 eggs". That pastor prayed over Jarrod and I that "God would do immeasureably more than we could ask or imagine!". With that we prepared for egg retrevial.
| My medications for IVF...never thought I could give myself multiple daily shots |
On July 18th 2011 we headed to the hospital for my egg retrevial. I had to go back in the room without Jarrod. As they extracted the fluid from the follicles they sent it right to the embryologist who would look for eggs under a microscope. At the end of the procedure he came in and said "There are 6 eggs!!"...I was shocked and the dr said there had been a hidden follicle. Yes God can do more than I could imagine!! Five of those eggs were mature and 4 became embryos. One of the prayers jarrod and I had when we started IVF was to have exactely the number of embryos we needed because as Christians we believe life starts at conception and would not destroy any embryos! So again God answered our prayers! (Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12)
| our beautiful embryos |
| the two little dashes in the middle are the embryos |
On July 21st 2011 I went in for my embryo transfer. We first got to look at the two enbryos they were transferring under the microscope and then Jarrod got to hold my hand and sit by me and they were placed in my uterus. From there we went home and prayed and prayed. It would be a long two weeks to find out if we were pregnant. We took at home pregnancy test on Saturday July 30th and it was positive and on August 2nd my first blood work was also positive! We were pregnant!!
| WOO HOO!! |
After a horrible weekend I saw my Dr on monday and high risk that following friday. Turns out I had a subchorionic hematoma. It is a blot clot in the uterus from a part of the placenta pulling away. I was put on bedrest and saw the doctors every other week. The positive side was that I saw the baby a lot but I lived in fear for weeks. We were told by high risk I had a 50% chance to miscarrying. So we would see this growing baby on the screen and in my mind I would think how can I lose this baby. It was torture! I bled till 18 weeks. At times the blood clot was up to 11 cms in size! (That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:10)
| 3D ultrsound pic |
At 18 weeks we were told the blood clot was much smaller and we were out of the woods for now. We finally could celebrate. But at that appointment we were given the news that our little miracle also had club feet. It was confirmed at the 20 week appointment as well. We also learned it was a boy then too! I was in tears when we learned of the club feet. I can honestly say I yelled at God. I couldnt understand why after all we went through He would give us this! I knew club feet was treatable and as a pediatric PT I could handle it but I didnt want to. (I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13)
At 20 weeks I was given the go ahead to be a bit more active but not too crazy. I was allowed to travel to Florida for Christmas and when we arrived back I was going to try to work a little. But on January 15th i began bleeding again. I was under 28 weeks pregnant and was admitted to labor and delivery and put on magnesium to stop contractions and to calm my uterus down. I was in the hospital for 11 days that stay. I got steriods for babys lungs and was put on a medication called Procardia I had to take every 6 hours (including over night). I was home less than a week and back to the hospital again bleeding and contracting. I was admitted a total of 3 times and on bedrest at home till 36 weeks. It was a tough time but prayer and support of family and friends got me through.
On Monday March 26th Colter was not behaving on the monitors at the drs office and I was sent to be induced! After a long induction I gave birth to the most beautiful little man Colter Jason at 1:33 am on March 28th. He was perfect!! While holding him I was shocked that his feet, though turned in, were not very tight. Even the drs said they did not look like club feet!! (Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, “The Lord has done great things for them.” Psalm 126:2)
| Colter Jason Herrold |
| Miracle Feet |
Colter has been such a blessing. He had a rough start with some milk and corn allergies but the Lord gave us such a happy baby regardless of his situation. I am blessed to be Colters mommy and I cannot wait to share with him one day what the Lord did in his life from such a young age and before he was even born. My little guy has a testimony of Gods goodness and I smile everytime I think about it. When it comes to all that has happened in the past two years I can truly say...TO GOD BE ALL THE GLORY!!
![]() |
| My little man! |
I want to encourage anyone going through a tough time. God is there....God hears your cries...He knows the desires of your heart...He knows your deepest fears..And HE IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!!
Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."
_edited-1.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment