Thursday, May 2, 2013

Tummy Troubles

Disclaimer:  some of this post might be TMI for some

The day we got to Florida Colter started having some changes in his poops.  I immediately got worried because of his history of tummy issues with his allergies.  Even though he had been on milk for five weeks at that time fear set in!!  When Colter had allergy reactions when he was little it was always GI based(he never got a rash or threw up).  At first I just waited it out and prayed it would get better.  Then we had to take him to the urgent care for an ear infection and put him on a new antibiotic.

Finally called the pediatrician while we were still in Florida.   She felt it was most likely the fact that he had been on a heavy duty antibiotic right before we left and that we were now on another one.  I spoke to her several times and she was very supportive.  I also spoke to the nurse practitioner at allergy at Johns Hopkins.  She said it most likely was the antibiotic and we need to let him heal from that before thinking about taking out milk. The issues continued through coming back to PA.  When we got back I took a sample in to test for blood (that was a huge symptom Colter had as an infant). Thankfully there was no blood and on Friday the 19th we stopped the antibiotic a few days early on recommendation of the pediatrician.  Through that weekend he continued to have multiple dirty diapers.

On Monday the 22nd we had Colters 12 month appt and he had lost almost a pound since before we went on vacation.  The dr was not surprised since he had been sick first and then had the tummy trouble but she did want to do more testing if the issues continued.  I also was back in contact with Johns Hopkins and they wanted to give his tummy a little more time to heal from the antibiotics and then we could discuss possibly cutting out milk.  They were happy it wasn't getting worse and that Colter did not appear in distress.  Both my pediatrician and allergist said because Colter had a sensitive tummy as a baby he might need more time to get over issues like this.

Every day I would old my breath and pray his diaper would be normal.  Praise God Monday April 29th for the first time in 19 days it was!!!!  I know it's crazy that I know so much about Colters poop but when you have seen a bloody diaper and watched your baby moan in pain from allergies you are on high alert when something changes.  Yesterday his pediatrician called and said all the stool cultures we took in were normal too!! I am so thankful it seems things have improved.  I was very scared to have to take milk and milk based products away because Colter loves his milk, and yogurt and ice cream and lots of other things that have milk in it!!  Thank you to all my friends and family who prayed as we went through tis recent issue!


No comments:

Post a Comment