I have learned through my career in pediatric physical therapy that a parent is their childs voice and their best advocate. A child cannot "speak" for themselves or fight for themselves and we as parents are called to do that for then. It was early on with Colter that I realized I would have to put what I learned in action. It was also early on that I learned that there truly is something called mothers instinct. I knew from the start that Colter was not comfy when he was eating. Everyone told me to give it time but I always knew. When we finally realized he was allergic to milk protein I wanted to say "I told you so." Needless to say I have fought for Colter through the past almost 5 months. When we first got him put on Elecare our insurance denied coverage. We went through an appeals process and I got the chance to "plead" our case on a appeal commitee meeting through a phone call. I spent time writing up what I wanted to say and read it of with confidence. At the end the Dr. who was in charge said that they hear alot of appeals and mine was one of the best presentations. I felt strong knowing I did this for my son.
Anyways why I bring this up is that I once again have been called to fight for Colter. This weekend was rough. He was not eating the new formula well and would spend a good part of the day just moaning. I knew something was up. I was not convinced from the start that it was the Elecare causing the recent issues and was not feeling good about trying a new formula but did it anyways. When I spoke to the allergist monday she told me to replace two of his bottles with just pedialyte. I was so uncertain...felt like I would be starving him. I also called pediatrician to let them know of his rough weekend. They wanted to see him. First thing pediatrician did was weigh him. We had just been there last thursday and in 4 days Colter had lost 5 ounces. They weighed him on a few scales to make sure. The Dr. was not happy about this. Though it is not an extreme weight loss its a loss. And at no time on Elecare or any of the other formulas that caused him issues did he lose. The pediatrician said we needed to get him calories and told us to go back to Elecare and got a referral to GI for us. This morning the allergist was not happy to hear we went back to Elecare. I told her that in my heart I needed to feed my child and he was great on this formula for over 2 months and I am not convinced this is the issue. I requested to see GI and then decide on a formula change if need be. She said ok. We have an appt with pediatric GI on Monday the 27th. The prayer is for answers. I have been researching a lot and have a lot of questions for them!!
So we are back on good ole Elecare:
Colter is taking it well and taking much more volume than before. He also is not moaning like he was all weekend!! Praise God. I am not sure what the future holds for his eating, allergies, formula...but I am trusting God for answers. I am also thanking God for giving me a discerning spirit that I trust when I am making decisions for Colter. I will continue to be Colter's voice and his advocate till he can speak for himself and I am honored to be that :)
No comments:
Post a Comment