Today started very early...we were on the road by 4 am to Baltimore. Thankfully Colter slept the whole way! We got there around 5:30 and registered and were brought back to pre-op by around 6:15. He was awake for a while before falling back asleep on me. He smiled and flirted with all the nurses :)

The doctors and anesthesiologists all came in to talk to us. They reviewed what they were going to do and had us sign releases. I got gowned up and was able to bring him back to the OR. He was awake and smiling away at this time too. Everyone in the OR couldnt stop saying how good he was. I had to help them hold him while they gave him the gas to go to sleep :( He cried but it worked quickly and I got to kiss him and then left. We waited for about an hour and 15 mins...longest hour and 15 mins ever!! The attending doctor came out first...He said that Colters colon is very irritated and inflammed. He compared it to swollen glands and said that as they put the tube in when it would hit the lining it was easily irritated and would bleed. He also said the entrance to the small intestine was so inflammed he couldnt have gotten through if he wanted to. They took mulitple biopsies to make sure there is nothing else going on but they are pretty sure its a food allergy. After the Fellow came out and reiterated everything and said to make an appt with Allergy and if its not for a while they will get us in sooner. He then took us back to see Colter.
As we walked into recovery I could hear Colters cry and when we walked into his room I was not prepared. He was lying on the table with oxygen and crying/whining with his eyes closed and his color was not good. They said he was having trouble waking and was crying in pain and they had just given him a narcotic so he had to stay monitored and on O2. He took about 45 minutes to come around. I sat by him, talked in his ear, and rubbed his head. Seeing him like this was harder than seeing him go to sleep!! Once he was awake they let me hold him and give him pedialyte first and then his formula. Once he ate some he had better color and was more himself. After 2 hour we were sent on our way and Colter slept the whole way home.

He is now playing on the floor but still seems a little out of it. We have to watch him closely today for any adverse reactions. We will get the results of the biopsies in probably a week. Hopefully before that we can get an appt in the nearer future for allergy. I am saddened to think that he is having that much irritation in there...I know it is uncomfy for him because he moans when he goes to the bathroom. We are just praying for continued answers to how to treat him and what we can and cannot feed him. Thanks for everyones prays and good wishes today....
Hey Amanda, I didn't realize you had a blog! Poor little guy I hope they can help him and soon! You guys are in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteThanks Courtney
Deleteoh, Amanda, that sounds like a really difficult day. However, it is encouraging that there is now a plan of action being formed. I hope the answers come more quickly and that the right treatment is found soon! I do know how it is with food allergies but I can't imagine dealing with it at such a young age. Sending lots of love and hope and prayers.
ReplyDeleteThanks Shannon
DeleteUgh that sounds like such a hard day for everyone. I hope you get some good answers soon and that the solution is an easy one.
ReplyDelete